Cost Accountant, Full Time
Steelcraft Inc - Kitchener, ON
We have an exciting opportunity for a Cost Accountant to join our growing business at our corporate office in Kitchener!
Why Work At Steelcraft?
Steelcraft is a growing Canadian metal fabrication company whose success has been built on positive collaboration between our customers, our employees, and our management team. We understand that investing in the growth and development of our employees produces a happy, highly-engaged workforce that is willing to go above-and-beyond for our customers. We also understand that our company's success is dependent upon the creativity and decision-making skills of employees at all levels, and we encourage brainstorming and collaboration when approaching any new business or production challenge.
- Competitive Salaries
- Comprehensive Health Benefits
- RRSP-Matching Programs
- Safe Working Environment
- Shift Premiums Where Applicable
- Travel and/or Vehicle Allowance Where Applicable
- Tuition Reimbursement Where Applicable
What We Are Looking for in a Candidate
This is an excellent opportunity to join the finance team and demonstrate your strong cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment. Reporting to the Controller, you will be responsible for a variety of Accounting related functions including; ensuring a high degree of accuracy in manufacturing cost and inventory values, preparing accounting or costing reports, maintaining fixed asset records, processing cost roll-up functions, and actively participating in year end inventory counts
The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of fully integrated ERP software systems, cost accounting standards, experience applying accounting principles, theories, and concepts to financial transactions in a fast-pace environment. This individual must have a strong knowledge of Bill of Material (BOM’s), Routings, Work Centers, and their relevancies to product costing. The individual must also have a clear understanding of cost accounting / manufacturing drivers and the ability to translate and interpret these within financial results to tell a story.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance. Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Apply fundamental accounting theories and concepts to support the cost accounting function
- Apply cost accounting strategies and workflows to meet monthly inventory and gross margin goals
- Regularly review costs and update where required to ensure accuracy in cost and inventory valuation
- Perform margin analysis by customer/part/job including analysis and information on cost variances
- Maintenance of Accrued Sales files using percentage of completion concepts
- Monitor jobs for potential gross profit variances during fabrication
- Perform monthly analysis of inventory related general ledger account variances and reconcile changes
- Ensure accuracy and reliability of general ledger/trial balance for the inventory accounts
- Review, summarize, and report recommendations on inventory, E&O reserve, and gross margin
- Assist in month-end closing activities, including accuracy of manufacturing overhead expenses, overhead allocations, inventory, and cost-of-goods-sold.
- Maintenance of fixed asset records and reconciliation of NBV and depreciation expense to general ledger
- Track and reconcile prepaid expenses
- Actively participate in year end inventory counts for all sites
- Contribute to timely completion of the annual audit
- Distribution of monthly management reports
- Support other departments with understanding their results
- Support the budgeting process
- Miscellaneous analysis, report writing and management reporting
- Maintain a professional appearance, demeanor, and attitude at all times